We recently spent some time at the Connolly Compound beach house on the New Jersey shore where we made the most delicious ice cream with raw goat milk and cow heavy cream. It was too good not to share!
3 cups Goat Milk (we use raw – CLICK HERE for Dutch Meadows Farm discount)
1 cup Heavy Cream (cow – we use raw)
4 Egg Yolks (organic, pasture raised)
¾ cup Pure Organic Maple Syrup (no added sugar or chemicals)
1-2 teaspoon Vanilla (quality organic)
¾ cup Chocolate Chip (HU Kitchen are best – CLICK HERE for THRIVE Market discount)
- 1. Put 4 egg yolks in a medium sized bowl with ½ c maple syrup and your vanilla. Whisk until mixed and set aside
2. Put goat milk, heavy cream, 1/4 c maple syrup, and chocolate chips into a heavy bottom pan on medium heat
3. Bring the mixture to a simmer while stirring continually. The chocolate needs to fully melt and incorporate into the milk and cream mixture. Once that is complete remove pan from the heat
4. Take your egg/maple syrup/vanilla mixture and slowly add the chocolate milk mixture 1c at a time to a cold bowl while whisking vigorously. It is EXTREMELY important that you do this slowly while whisking or else you’ll have scrambled eggs.
5. Once you’ve incorporated all the chocolate milk mixture into the egg, transfer the liquid back to your pot.
6. Turn heat back on to medium and cook the mixture, stirring continually, until the mix begins to thicken.
7. Pour the chocolate mixture into a chilled bowl.
8. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 12 hours. This is a critical step because you want to avoid crystallization. If possible try to avoid opening your fridge to leave your chocolate cream mixture undisturbed.
9. When your mixture is cool, put it in your ice cream machine and follow the instructions for a “custard.” Typically 20-30 minutes of churning.
10. When it’s done churning, you can either enjoy right away or freeze to enjoy later.
Pro tip: chill your ice cream paddles, storage container, and all bowls prior to use. This will help prevent crystallization.
CLICK HERE to watch the video of us making it
Let us know if you give it a try!